Return to review sheet page
Cells and Cellular Processes
Part 2 Questions
1. How is a window screen similar to a cell membrane? How are they different? Give another example of something that acts like a cell membrane.
2. The following is a line from The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner by Samual Taylor Coleridge (among other things) being stuck in the middle of the ocean:
“Water, water, everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere,
Nor any drop to drink.”
Provide an osmotic explanation for this passage in words as well as a diagram. Be sure to include a description of osmosis.
3. The following three terms are related to forms of transport across a cell membrane: diffusion, osmosis and passive transport. Identify the one term that includes the other two. Is energy used in any of these processes? Be sure to explain both of your answers.
4. Just like complex organisms, cells are able to survive by coordinating various activities. Complex organisms have a variety of organs and organ systems, and cells have a variety of organelles that work together for survival. Describe the roles of TWO organelles. In your answer be sure to include:
· The names of two organelles and the function of each 
· an explanation of how these organelles work together 
· the name of an organelle and the name of an organ or organ system in the human body that have similar functions.